First Rocket Launch

After 4 failed attempts, I’ve finally made a rocket that works!

The parachute didn’t deploy as it got stuck inside the tube due to the shock cord being attached too close to the nose cone. This caused the chute to be snagged by the attachment so it got stuck.

Turns out it can be recovered just with nose blow recovery; there wasn’t even a scratch on the rocket despite the parachute not deploying.

Also, we found the motor casing half way up the body tube after landing. This was most likely due to a rough landing causing the motor casing to slip out the mount, because if the motor was still burning while halfway up the body tube, it would have popped out the top, and possibly set my rocket on fire. As well as that, I have already tested the motor mount in the video below and it worked perfectly.

I will launch this rocket again on Thursday atop a E-class equivalent sugar motor booster, which, according to the simulator, will reach 800m (2600ft).

Next time I will bring a few more people with me with their phones to measure the angle of elevation in order to work out a real value for the altitude reached, rather than the simulator’s guesses.

As the saying goes, 5th time lucky!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s